Saturday, February 5, 2011

Restaurant Review: 88 Wharf

Last Thursday, I met up with fellow blogger Michelle (from Savory Flavors) to partake in Dorchester/Milton Restaurant Week.

This year's selection:
88 Wharf in Milton, MA


Located right on the riverfront in Milton, 88 Wharf may not look like much and you might totally miss it, but the spot is pretty spacious, with a nice bar area and decently sized dining room, complete with dark wood accents and candlelit tables.  Definitely a good weeknight date spot.



Service was adequate, if a tad bit slow.  Took a while for the waiter to come over to get our drink order, which normally wouldn't bother me all that much except that I'd worked all day and really really wanted a glass of wine, STAT!


WHAT I ATE:

1st course - Pumpkin Torteloni with foie-gras truffle butter and toasted pumpkin oil



Ah-maz-balls.  I swear I could have eating like 50 of these little bundles of deliciousness.  Not overly pumpkin-y with lovely pasta that tasted decidedly homemade.  The sauce was light but very flavorful with bits of toasted pumpkin seeds.  This dish is not on the regular menu, but I think it should be.

2nd course - Pan Seared Cod with saffron risotto cake, asparagus, and blood orange gastrique



The fish was well cooked with a crispy skin, but the stand out for me in this dish were the risotto cakes and the gastrique.  The cakes were golden brown on the outside...warm, starchy, and yummy on the inside.  I'm in love with anything blood orange since my trip to Rome in 2008, so when I say this on the menu, I knew I had to have it.  The gastrique was drizzled on the plate and provided a nice sweet balance to the salt of the fish and risotto cake.

3rd course - New York style Cheesecake



There were only 2 options for the dessert (the other being some caramel chocolate bread pudding) and since I'm not a huge fan of chocolate (yes, I know I'm weird), I went with the cheesecake.  It was your pretty run-of-the-mill cheesecake.  If only they had some sort of fruit tart or lemon vanilla cupcake...


According to their website, 88 Wharf also offers some fun specials:
Mondays - Bring Your Own Wine
 - Bring your favorite bottle and pay no corkage fee.
Thursdays - Date Night
 - Free Dessert with purchase of two entrees
Sundays - Kids Eat Dessert FREE!
 - Kids eat free all day from the dessert menu & can also build their own sundae.
Mondays through Wednesday - Weekday Prix Fixe
 - Three courses for $25
Mondays through Fridays - Social Menu
 - $1 appetizers from 5-6pm at the bar

So based on my Restaurant Experience and its relative proximity to my house, I think that I'll be returning to 88 Wharf again.  Perhaps this summer so I can actually experience the riverfront (instead of the 5 foot snow mounds)

**love and laughter**


No comments: